Born in the year 1968 at Attavar Mangalore Stephen Quadros had his primary education from Holy Angels Higher Primary School Mailagres Mangalore. He went to St Aloysius College Highschool and graduated from St Aloysius College and went to Mangalore University for Post Graduate studies in History. Stephen Quadros passed M A History with first rank , bagging Prof B Shail Ali Felicitation Committee Gold Medal and four other prestigious Endowment Prizes.
Though he started teaching History at St Aloysius College, soon he got selected as Lecturer in the Depat of Collegiate Education, Govt of Karnataka. Since last 28 years he has served the department and presently working as an Associate Professor, Govt First Grade College For Women Puttur.
Since last 35 years Stephen Quadros has been contributing to the Literary life of Konkani, English and Kannada languages. He has ventured in those areas where the presence of Konkani work is rare. His books on Language, Literature, Culture, Linguistics, Criticism and poetics are not only unique and path breaking they are also used as text books by the graduate and post graduate students.
He has written more than 120 text books in his subject History, the same are being made use by the students of PUC board and in the graduate as well as pot graduate students of various universities.
Greatest contribution of Stephen Quadros has been in the field of Lexicography. He has by now produced 25000 Head Entry English – Konkani Dictionary (2007), 50000 Head Entry English – Kannada- Konkani Dictionary (2014), Konkani – Konkani- English – Kannada Dictionary (2019) and Welcome to Konkani Vocabulary. These pioneering works and truly world’s first works of such kind. Undoubtedly these works have made Konkani Lexicography rich and substantial.
His other important works include, Sahitya Ani Vimarso (Literature and Criticism), Amchi Konknni Samskruthi (Our Konkani Culture), Bannem (Blockade – Book of Poetics), Vachtam Vachtam (While Reading – Book of Criticism), Janna Mahakavicho Yachodhara Charita (Translation of 12 Century Kannada Classic), Sornayilyanchem Utram Sahit (Translation of Vachana Literature) etc.
He has present Papers in various Universities, Kendra Sahitya Academy programs and various other academic bodies. He is also a regular contributor to the All India Radio.
For his continuous literary contributions he has won many accolades and awards.
He has served in many National, Regional and State boards pertaining to Konkani Education, Language and literature. He was the Chairman of the Konkani Text Book Committees, Member of the Konkani Standardization Committees and Konkani Book Review and Selection Committees.
Apart from his literary contributions Stephen Quadros Permude is known for his active involvement in the field of social service and community empowerment. He has served as the member of the Pastoral Council of the Undivided diocese of Mangalore for four terms and was its Secretary for one term. He was elected to be the Director of MCC Bank Mangalore for one term. He was the President of CLC India and was one of the two delegates from India to the CLL World Assembly. He was instrumental in starting Diocesan CAP (Career Advancement Programme) and has conducted more than 1000 camps under its banner. He has started Patha Darshini Seva Trust to motivate and support marginalized youth for higher education and higher employment. The trust is run mostly by the revenue generated from the dictionaries and other books written by Stephen Quadros .
● World’s First English – Konkani (Kannada Script) Dictionary – 25000 head entries – 2007
● World’s First Konkani Vocabulary – (10000 head entries. ) – Welcome To Konkani – 2007 (with IPA)
● World’s First English Kannada– Konkani (Kannada Script) Dictionary – 50000 head entries – 2014
● World’s First Konkani –Konkani - English Kannada– Dictionary – 20000 head entries – 2019
Membership in various committees
1. Govt of India committee on Konkani Pronunciation Standardization
2.Govt of India committee for Konkani Pre Primer Learning material preparation
3. Chairman, Govt of Karnataka Committee for Konkani Text Books
● Prof B Shaik Ali Felicitation Committee Gold Medal
● Vasantha S AnanthaNarayana & Prof S AnanthaNarayana Endowment Award
● Padooru Gururaja Bhatta Endowment Award
● M V Shastri Endowment Award
● Karnataka Konkani Sahitya Akademi awards – 2
● Outstanding Young Person Award – Indian Jaycees
● Karnataka State Resource Centre Special Recognition Award
● Francis Danti Memorial Award
Details of Some Prominent Works
- Janna Mahakavicho Yashodhara Charita-Translation of 12 century Kannada classical work by poet Janna from classical Kannada to Konkani.- Got Karnataka Konkani Sahitya Akademy Award
- Sornaylelyanchen tran Sahitya = Translation of 199 Vachanas of 12 century Vachanakaras- Shaiva Saints
- Vachtam Vachtam = Book of literary criticism, giving insights into the literary genre and various prominent Konkani literary works.
- Bannem = Book of poetics and poetic insights into Konkani poetry and poets.
- English-Kannada- Konkani dictionary with 50000 head entries.
- Was the Director, M C CBank Mangalore
- Was the Secretary Diocesan Pastoral council
- Was the President CLC – India
- Has presented papers in many Universities, International, National and Regional Seminars, Programs
- Has given radio talks and speeches